1) Responding like a trained monkey – I am an admitted “send-receiver”… I feel the need to check my email and respond to things at completely unreasonable times. I think I can handle a simple once per hour check. What can’t wait an hour? Anything urgent is going to notify me via iPhone anyway, right? Can I do the same with Facebook? That’s kind of asking a lot!
2) Mindless traditions – I’m already there… sick of the mindless and just need some creative inspiration and action!
3) Reading annoying things – I won’t get rid of The Economist print subscription, but I have cleaned up my Google Reader and think I have my stream of information well organized and condensed. Also, Luke had recommended podcasts for the commute to HCC, so I’m thinking this will be a great way to multitask and even reduce my number of annual speeding tickets. (Note that also checking emails once per hour will likely improve my driving success as well)
4) Work that’s not worth it – I really need to give up the HOA this year. I gave up one last year, but I keep hanging onto this responsibility because I feel like it’s my civic duty. But, I’ve come to realize that HOAs are powerless to government legislation and people are going to do whatever the hell they want to anyway. I do love the other members and our CAM though, so it makes it hard. I’m keeping all the other stuff! It doesn’t take that much time, and I get enjoyment from being busy.
5) Making things more complicated than they should be – Been there, done that!